Friday 22 January 2016

Angelica Hicks - Artist Crush

I came across Angelica Hicks, a London based artist back in November when one of her images which you're probably familiar with 'Victoria's Secret Service' appeared all over social media platform, Instagram. The illustration featuring models Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid, was used to announce the girls debut as Victoria's Secret Angels. Hicks posted the illustration onto her Instagram page and it remains her most liked post to date, Jenner and Hadid also posted the image onto their Instagram accounts. Below I have collected together a handful of my favourite illustrations by Hicks, I couldn't just pick a couple to share I'm too in love with her work!
A handful of my favourite illustrations by Angelica Hicks 

The young illustrator is currently taking Instagram by storm, by quite simply making fun of fashion and culture with her witty puns and faultless illustrations. I love how her pieces are so aesthetically pleasing yet so witty, fun and humorous at the same time, fashion can be taken far too seriously so it's nice to see that a lighthearted approach towards the industry is being embraced!

Within an interview with Bazaar, Hicks expressed her feelings on the power of social media 'If I hadn't put one of my first cartoons on Instagram and received positive feedback, who knows whether I would still be illustrating'. She then went on to discuss how she felt that Instagram and social media have influenced the world of fashion 'I was talking to an editor the other day and we were discussing the way in which Instagram and social media have removed the need for people to buy magazines.' This is definitely a statement I must say I agree with! Social media platforms are bombarded with spoilers regarding the fashion industry, Instagram is always the first to make users aware of a new campaign, magazine issue, or up and coming model or photographer, and so on making it unnecessary for us to pick up a magazine to find out the latest news within the fashion world.

During an interview for Tory Daily, Hicks explained that she puts her flare for illustration down to her parents 'My father is a decorator and my mother is involved in both fashion and interiors so I was brought up with an astute awareness of the importance of aesthetics; everything was either "ghastly!' or "divine!" As a child, my father would constantly urge me to "be more observant," and this emphasis on the visual from an early age, coupled with a photographic memory have proven invaluable to my illustrations as I cross-reference popular culture with fashion'.

Angelica Hicks' Instagram 'angelicahicks' (https://www.instagram.com/angelicahicks/) is a must follow account, which she keeps updated with her work on a regular basis. I would also highly recommend giving her website a visit, http://www.angelicahicks.com.  I'd love to see Angelica Hicks collaborate with a fashion campaign or magazine issue in the future, wouldn't that be AMAZING?

Love, Isabella x

Photo Credits: Angelica Hicks' Instagram 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Isabella . All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig