Sunday 3 January 2016

Fashion Loves The Mature Lady

We're living for longer than ever and this 'ageing population' mega trend is now beginning to contribute to a micro trend I believe to be emerging. We're seeing much more of the older woman within the fashion industry and I love it. It's so great to see fashion positively embracing these admirable women, all gorgeous in their own right!

To the left has to be one of my favourite fashion editorials to embrace the older lady. This Céline editorial featuring 80 year old American writer Joan Didion, was shot by Juergen Teller. This image is right on brand for Céline, allowing the French Fashion brand to reach out to its target market of classy, wealthy women of their 40's and 50's, by opting out of casting an irrelevantly young glowing blonde as the face of their brand. Céline have excelled here where so many brands tend to fail as they cast young bright eyed, fresh faced models who are often quite frankly irrelevant to the brand and its target market.

I think it is admirable that here, Joan Didion is respectfully celebrated for her on trend silver hair and wrinkles. I think it's about time we stop shaming ageing and embrace it, as it's something that even the most beautiful can't avoid. We're all going to reach that point in our lives at some point, so why not celebrate it for what it is!

When recently flicking through my Hunger magazine (I highly recommend giving Hunger a read, it's a particularly great source for fashion editorials) I came across a fabulous article 'I Was A Teenage Anarchist' shot by Trisha Ward. The article is simply fantastic, each of the photographed glamorous Grannies are dressed head to toe in Prada. These remarkable women are so admirable for their confidence and pride and quite rightly so!
'I Was A Teenage Anarchist'
When looking into the ageing population trend I came across the most fabulous street style blog 'Advanced Style' (I will link at the end of this post). The blog which launched in 2008 went on to inspire a documentary in 2014 which I am desperate to watch, as judging by the blog it would be a truly fascinating watch! IMDb describes the film 'Advanced Style examines the lives of seven unique New Yorkers whose eclectic personal style and vital spirit have guided their approach to ageing'.
'I Was A Teenage Anarchist' (Hunger): http://www.hungertv.com/feature/i-was-a-teenage-anarchist/

Feel free to have a browse at some of my favourite fashion editorials featuring the 'The Mature Lady' found on the Pinterest board I created when researching for this blog post;  https://uk.pinterest.com/ichriston/fashion-loves-the-mature-lady/

So could 80 really be the new 18? I'm sure this trend will continue to flourish and we will hopefully see many more mature women making an appearance on model agency websites, magazine covers and maybe even the catwalk! 

Love, Isabella x 

Photo Credits: Google images, Hungertv.com, advancedstyle.blogspot 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Isabella . All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig